One of my older projects. This guy was basically my guinea pig for many explorations. My modular rigging method, joint based muscle system and joint-based face rig were all tried on this guy. He was also the first to be rendered using my realtime crosshatch shader.
The original orc came out a bit too 'Disny' for my taste, so I gave him a bit of a makeover. This is an overview of some face-rig tests with both versions. New version is the right-hand series.
Original sculpt and concept piece I did back in 2014. Concept was done on the first note 10.1 with an early version of Autodesk Sketchbook, and as artwork it leaves much to be desired, but as a concept I felt I had to bring him to 3d!
Realtime Crosshatch shader. This is a very basic proof of concept, and it works like a charm. It is not screenspace projection but uses camera and surface vector to project a small texture. Here I used a very simple texture, but this can be made to have any crosshatch look desired.
Some face rig testing. No blendshapes used; only 17 joints to drive this (including the head itself)